Angle Corner

Angle Corner:

We have some exciting things that have been happening at our school this week.  We are currently celebrating Red Ribbon Week!  Do you know where this week originated from?  It was in response to the murder of DEA Agent Enrique Camarena, angered parents and youth in communities across the country began wearing Red Ribbons as a symbol of their commitment to raise awareness of the killing and destruction cause by drugs in America. In 1988, NFP sponsored the first National Red Ribbon Celebration. Here at MJMS to celebrate Red Ribbon Week  we hosted a guest speaker through the science classes on Monday from the DEA. He  talked to our students about the dangers of what drugs can do, types of drugs, and about being drug free.  All students were encouraged to sign a pledge to be drug free.  We have attached the pledge, so you can see and discuss this with your child.  On Tuesday, we had an announcement about vaping and the dangers of doing this.  Please talk with your child about this and how harmful it can be to their bodies.  Wednesday was Red day where we asked everyone in the building to wear red to show their support to be drug free.  We also made an announcement about prescription drugs.  Thursday was Jersey day where we are “Teaming up against drugs”.  A morning announcement was made about the affects that marijuana can have on your body.  On Friday it is Black and Gold Day because MJMS chooses to be Drug FREE!  We will have an announcement about life choices, goals, and and our future!!

Over fall break we challenged our students to see how many Achieve 3000’s they could complete.  We had several that rose to the challenge.  The following our the winners by grade with the number of activities they completed. We also drew one name out of each grade from the students who participated to win a gift card.

6th Grade:

1st place: Emily Dunagan with 70 Activities. She won a $30.00 gift card to Target

2nd place: Addison Osborne with 50 Activities. She won a $20.00 gift card to Target

3rd place: Calyn McGuire with 38 Activities. She won a $15.00 gift card to Target

Drawing Winner: Reagan Brown.  She won a $50.00 gift card to BAM

7th Grade:

1st place: Nathaniel King with 59 Activities. He won a $30.00 gift card to Target

2nd place: Jahsolin Dunagan with 41 Activities.  She won a $20.00 gift card to Target

3rd place: Justin Muniz with 21 Activities. He won a $15.00 gift card to Target

Drawing winner:Nathaniel King.  He won a $50.00 gift card to BAM

8th Grade:

1st place: Carly Holladay with 65 Activities. She won a $30.00 gift card to Target

2nd place: Evageline Nicklaus with 45 Activities. She won a $20.00 gift card to Target

3rd place: Salvatore Faqadio with 38 Activities. He won a $15.00 gift card to Target

Drawing Winner: Evageline Nicklaus. She won a $50.00 gift card to BAM

MJMS also challenged our students to be here everyday the week before fall break and the week after.  We wanted them to know our teachers are committed to teaching them valuable standards right up to our breaks and get the students right back into learning routines after breaks.  This attendance contest was held through 3rd block classes.  The winning classes will be given Kona Ice and free time outside.

Attendance class winners for the Fall break contest are:

6th Grade- Mr. Anthony’s 3rd block class with 99.5% attendance

8th Grade- Mrs. Fly’s 3rd block class with 99% attendance

7th Grade- Mrs. Lidyard’s 3rd block class with 98% attendance.

Mrs. Myers class with 100% attendance

We also had students that were present everyday during the first nine weeks.  We would like to give them a big shout out!!

6th Grade
John Rhodes
Evan Fisher
Sesar Robles
7th Grade
Jenna Jacobs
Addison McQueen
Payton Englehardt
8th Grade
William Boles
Gavin Bristow
Mackenzie Romer

BLOCK PARTY FOR THE COMMUNITY NOV. 1ST 6-8 pm!

Please come join us as we show our appreciation for everything our community has done for MJMS.  It is a small token of how we can thank you for everything you have done for our school.  We will have games, crafts, food, and much more.  All free!!  A night of FREE family fun!!

Wilson County Christmas for All: applications are now open for families in need of help this Christmas season. The program is for children ages newborn-15.  Parents will need to pick up an application at Dept. of Human Services 155 Legends Drive, Lebanon (across from Roxy theater).  Applications close on 12/11.  Parents will need to pick up gifts by 12/18 if their application is accepted.  Parents must be Wilson County residents in order to participate in this program.  Parents can call 615-547-1106 starting on 10/29 to ask questions, but only the applications are available now.

First home basketball games are next week on Tuesday Oct. 29th.  Come out and support our Bears!!

It will be black and gold night!!

That is a wrap for now!!